Tuesday, February 14, 2012

TV And Me

I STILL don't like this new-look Blogger. I haven't figured out how to sort out the comments section- I can't even READ your comments after the first 200, but I'll have to do something soon... grrrr...

Anyway...

I got a call just before 6 PM yesterday- my publicist, wanting to know if I could POSSIBLY make it onto a plane the next day to go to London to appear on the Alan Titchmarsh Show on ITV. Me, being the true professional that I am, eventually stopped crying and said absolutely, no problem. Never mind the fact that I'm writing a book. Never mind the fact that my deadline is approaching. Never mind all those little details. I'd be delighted to get up early and get on a plane and go to London and sit around for a few hours and appear on air for FIVE MINUTES... and then get on another plane and fly home, waving goodbye to a full day of work... Sigh. Such is the life of a  super-genius.

As it turned out, though, I had a lot of fun. Yes, the traveling and the waiting was as boring as ever, and yes I did have to miss a day of writing, but I was on the show with John Barrowman, from Dr Who and Torchwood- awesome! He's a lovely guy, and his sister was equally lovely, and I had a really funny five minutes on stage with them, being interviewed. They've written a book for young people called Hollow Earth, and it actually sounds pretty cool. John is everything you'd expect- charming, funny, friendly and engaging- so I wasn't at all disappointed. He was just like Captain Jack Harkness, in fact. Which obviously poses a problem, since if I ever get to meet David Tennant or Matt Smith I'll be expecting them to be wonderfully intelligent people with the ability to time travel. Hmmm.

Matt Cardle was also there, but he's not much of a "book-person". Nice chap, though.

But now I'm home, and I might actually try and get some work done. The book is going well, I'm sure you'll be happy to know. 60,000 words and counting. Whether or not it'll continue the tradition of every book being longer than the one before, I don't know. Hopefully it will, because I like giving readers more pages for their money every time, but a book's length is a book's length, and the story itself will dictate how long it'll be.

I also have a possible title... that I can't tell you about just yet! My agent loves it, my editor loves it, I'm pretty sure the marketing people love it... It's completely different to the style of titles I've been using up until now, which is what I'm after. I'm sure I'll be able to tell you what it is soon enough, and then we'll show you the cover closer to September, just to torture you even more.

But for now, I'm concentrating on writing the thing, fully conscious that The End Of The World is out on March 1st. You guys have caused such a storm with this, actually, because thousands of you have pre-ordered it on Amazon UK, and apparently that has never happened for a World Book Day book before. I've heard that Amazon were a tad stunned...

Well done, Minions. You stunned Amazon.

Be proud of yourselves.


4,807 comments:

1 – 200 of 4807   Newer›   Newest»
Holly said...

First comment! Derek, I missed the live airing, but I watched it on ITVplayer and it was great.

Holly said...

Also wanted to ask whether you'd ever consider doing another one of your character competitions for the next three books, or whether it's too tightly woven plot for them now?

Holly said...

Last thing - sorry! - you can read the comments after 200 if you save the url you're directed to after you make a comment, but you do have to comment at least once I think.
*stops hogging the comment section creepily*

Gaming Bacon said...

I read somewhere that Tanith was supposed to die in the first book now that she is possesed by a remnant will she come back you know as normal Tanith?

Robin Snowscar said...

Well hey

Anonymous said...

Oh My Golden God, Everyone on the Skulduggery Pleasant Facebook Page was talking about it - http://www.facebook.com/Skuttlebugfans - It was so cool! Tell us the title I soooo want to know! You know you want to tell us so you can make sure it's right!

Robin Snowscar said...

I stunned amazon along with lots of other people. Excellent

Robin Snowscar said...

Whilst we're at top

http://rsnowscar.blogspot.com/

Robin Snowscar said...

Single figures this time *pride*

Katniss said...

Must you torment us with these vague tidbits? All in the work of a super genius, I suppose.

Robin Snowscar said...

I WANT THE NEW BOOK TITLE THIS INSTANT DEREK LANDY.

Robin Snowscar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

omg i in top 200!!!! Hi Derek oh and i think i know how to fix the problem with not reading our comments click on the title of the name of the blog you posted and it takes you to a page with the blog and then you can scoll down to read comments hope i helped you

Robin Snowscar said...

Right well I'll go as no one is talking much - dead time - laters

Colleen McGuigan said...

HIII DEREK!!!! You torture us more than Serpine did to Skulduggery. You Torture us, badly. I feel like a dog begging at the Kitchen table...
you REALLY have to come to Co. Armagh, or I will tell my dog Belle to lick you to death. She may sound like a teeny dog ting, BUT she is the size of a Horse. A Rhodesian Ridgeback lion-herding dog is usually the size of a horse.
Anyway, love Skulduggery :)

Mar-Chu said...

OH MY FREAKING GODDDDD!!!!!! YOU MET JOHN BARROWMAN!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S-THAT'S- OH MY GOD THE AWESOMENESS MUST HAVE BEEN PRACTICALLY FLYING OUT OF EVERYTHING FOR THOSE 5 MINUTES!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M HAVING TROUBLE BREATHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OHMYGOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

*is reading dark days* i happy at the moment this day just got really good

Mar-Chu said...

WHERE CAN I WATCH THE THINGYYYYYY????

Robin Snowscar said...

Dear Lord Mar...

Gabriel said...

I'm reading Dark days.
*re-reading*

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

ooh i found a link on the facebook page....evil laptops these days it told me i gotta update adobe...how i do that?i am a blonde when it comes to technology

Gabriel said...

Hello Phoenix

Gabriel said...

And Hello everyone else... I'm bored.

Robin Snowscar said...

Heya everyone!

Gabriel said...

I am determined to get first on next page.

Robin Snowscar said...

Good luck with that Gabriel

Gabriel said...

Hey Robin..thank you for following my blog thing..the only follower...damn it blogging's not lame.

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

i will miss it *laughs* wow i need ideas i got to dress up as a charector from dark days for reading class....hmm any ideas and i am a girl

barmybex said...

Saw you on TV and shouted - 'I've met him - he is a LEGEND!' was a very short interview but great to see you on TV.

YAY for writing the next book, sad I still have to wait until Septmeber though. I'm having Skulduggery Withdrawals, but at least 'The End of the World' will keep me up with a fix for a while.

Mwahaha, Amazon had better beware of the power of Derek Landy's minions. :P

Gabriel said...

All the people at my school think it's lame...
And I say
Go to hell.

Mar-Chu said...

*is still freaking out*

Robin Snowscar said...

I like your story :)

*insane swearing happy moment* GABRIEL YOU'RE PICTURE IS FINAL FANTASY *dies*

Georgina Howlett said...

I taped your appearance on my iPad :D it was great to see you, Derek!

Random question - do you like doing Wordsearches or Sudokus? :3

~Georgina/Ashione

Gabriel said...

...
*talks on and on*
*realizes that no one was listening*

Gabriel said...

Final fantasy is awesome.

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

DEREK TALK TO US

Niamhy Jay said...

Derek, while you were on the Alan Titchmarsh Show... I WAS IN SCHOOL!!
THAT'S RIGHT- SCHOOL!!

Gabriel said...

...

Robin Snowscar said...

Gabriel you are awesome, so is final fantasy, dear lord *begins to name all ff characters in Gabriel's pic*

Gabriel said...

Reading about China....
*awesome*

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

in my school i got a lot of my friends reading SP all it took was me reading dark days for the very first time and everyone got really interested i dont want to even mention nikki's moment yesterday for her own safety of spoons and other weapons we may have for this was truly a scary moment

Gabriel said...

My PSP was killed, I cant play DISSIDIA 012!!

Valkyrie108 said...

Omg tell me the title NOW!!! I can't wait:(
By the way, when is the end of the world being released in Australia???????? Me and my BFF
LOVE you I am truly obsessed!!!!

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

kkwkkwwkwkwkwkwkkwkwwkwkwkwkwkwwkwkkwkw

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

SPARKY

I




MISSSS


YOUUU

Robin Snowscar said...

I have ff13 but can't beat the penultimate boss (Orphan) and I swore I wouldn't get ff13-2 until I had

Robin Snowscar said...

sucks Gabriel

Gabriel said...

I wish I could play FF13 but I don't have a Ps3.

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

i wont ask when it will be released in america because when in doubt ill use amazon! maybe since we shocked amazon thats why they cancelled my order of dark days :( i borrowing my friends copy

Gaming Bacon said...

every minute theres about 4 commments just noticed

Anonymous said...

Hellloooooo~

MonsterMouse said...

Omigosh! Amazon is stunned?!?!?!
I am very proud of myself, thank you.
And you too, Golden God,if you weren't such a great writer, we wouldn't have stunned Amazon. be proud of yourself.

Gabriel said...

Or any other console, I have a Ps2

Robin Snowscar said...

Xbox Gabriel

Valkyrie108 said...

*still freaking out*

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Valkyrie calm down its ok i'm sure it will be released quickly

Robin Snowscar said...

I have an original gameboy it's the size of a brick xD Pokemon Blue, oh yeah!

Gabriel said...

Ohh...RIGHT..I only have A BROKEN psp and A PS2.

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

DSi but i think it went insane on me....i THINK it did i havent seen it since last summer time to eat then off to musical theater class O>O i make sure to improv as someone from SP

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Derek, Wind in the Willows certainly does lack that ninja quality that really makes a good book. Wait, where are the ninja;s in your book. Hm, i will be keeping an eye out for them xD


I never knew you used to teach martial arts. Thats why your so good at writing the fighting scenes.... ^-^

Valkyrie108 said...

When is the movie coming out ????? (please have Johnny depp):)))))))))

Gabriel said...

pLEASE.. VALKYRIE DONT TALK ABOUT AN SP MOVIE... im gonna kill someone.

Robin Snowscar said...

Gabriel why the '...' ?

Valkyrie108 said...

....

Gabriel said...

Movies ruin good books.

Gaming Bacon said...

I don't understan why a majority of people want David Tennant as S.P

Min (Thalia) said...

DEREK! About the comment thing. From where you post the comments, this little pop-up window, you can't get to the new ones. But in the actual comment stream - the one that shows up under your post so you can read them without commenting yourself - you CAN get to the new pages. There's still those little buttons for that. Hope this helps!

Anyway.

OHMYGOD YOU MET THE BARROWMAN! That's so awesome :'D He's awesome. You're awesome. You and him together equals awesome. Awesoomeee

Also. Going to go buy Hollow Earth now.

I'm very excited for the next book, and also The End Of The World, which I still need to order. We're all waiting eagerly for more of your genius.

Gabriel said...

...

Valkyrie108 said...

Please some1 follow me!!!!!!!

Robin Snowscar said...

I'm prepared to rip the next person who puts the next Goddamn ellipsis into a coffin

Robin Snowscar said...

So angry can't even make sense LOL

Anonymous said...

My god I cant wait until september to read the next book! I have already converted 3 of my friends at school to read your books, and they all think that they are amsing!!

uhuu, I have good taste in friends xD

Btw, when are you gonna go on tour again?????? I neeeeeeddd to come to one of your book singings in england. Near Manchester. (hint, hint)

Robin Snowscar said...

Valkyrie108 you need a blog for someone to be able to follow you

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

SPARKY

Valkyrie108 said...

Pretty sure I have a blog:)

MonsterMouse said...

I agree with little miss sunshine

Robin Snowscar said...

No Valkyrie, you don't, I'm on your profile right now, you don't...

MonsterMouse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChapterHouse-Reads said...

PIE! GO TO MY BLOG!

Valkyrie108 said...

Crap, never mind then I don't get these blogs anyway:/

Robin Snowscar said...

Sacramento that was in a book I read *muses* Of Mice and Men maybe...

Gabriel said...

Back... I saw a ppicture of my friend pashing with someone. Oh she just said it's tounge she doesn't want to stop me if you want to add her on Fb ask me.

Robin Snowscar said...

You'll get used to it just keep pushing buttons 'til it works - the general rule of any human technology

Valkyrie108 said...

??????

Robin Snowscar said...

*Attacks Gabriel*
No*punch*More*punch*ELLIPSIS*punch*

BlackDragon said...

hey im here!!!!!

and just watched alan show thinhg on itv player :D

Gabriel said...

VAlkyrie if you're confused. I saw a picture of my friend french kissing and then she said it wasnt she said it was tounge something. If you want to add her on Facebook ask me.

Robin Snowscar said...

Gabriel, please.

Valkyrie108 said...

Fine I'll add her

Gabriel said...

...

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! We stunned Amazon <3 So proud :3 I CANNOT wait for The End Of The World to come out, I need some more inspiration for my next story and you have been one of my only 3 inspirations to write, and the reason I got an A* (19/20) on my last English exam, we had to write a story. Anyway, WHY MUST YOU TORTURE US? YOU HAVE GOT ME TORTURING MY FRIENDS BECAUSE YOU TORTURE US!!!!! Well....Much love and I guess I will go back to either writing or reading Skulduggery Pleasant from the beginning, yet again. :') <3 xxx

Robin Snowscar said...

*facepalm*

*sits on floor*

Robin Snowscar said...

*fires an arrow through Gabriel's head*

BlackDragon said...

hey guys wats goin on nowadays

Robin Snowscar said...

Nothing but the random '...' is beginning to irritate me.

Gabriel said...

*deflects arrow using sigils*
*acivates sigils all over body*
*wields spear of light*
*throws at Robin...missed*
Damn it.

Anonymous said...

heres me trying to be really quiet because im meant to be in bed, and slamming the laptop around by mistake and filling my room with light.

Fail. *headdesk*

Valkyrie108 said...

Why do I bother??????

Robin Snowscar said...

What's up with you Valkyrie?

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

sparky

BlackDragon said...

ok uummmm

this:

*walk up to a chocolate cake and eat it*?????

Robin Snowscar said...

Nice one Sunshine

Valkyrie108 said...

Bye

Robin Snowscar said...

Yes yes Flame, we know you want Sparky


Careful Slayer it may contain robots

Anonymous said...

Ikr? im now crouching down with the laptop as closed as it will go so i can still see the screen, trying to let mnimal light through. Feeling awesome.

Gabriel said...

No i CHANGED MY Mind valkyrie
Im friends with her and you ll know who i am

BlackDragon said...

right robots

*spits robot out of mouth*

what u mean this????

Robin Snowscar said...

I get the impression she was upset... Bye Valkyrie


Ninja time obvs Sunshine:)

Robin Snowscar said...

Yep Slayer that just there be a robot

Gabriel said...

Who was upset..?

Robin Snowscar said...

*beats Gabriel's head in with a mallet*

Robin Snowscar said...

Valkyrie108, Gabriel

Robin Snowscar said...

She just seemed that way to me, or angry possibly angry

BlackDragon said...

yep i aggree

THERE WAS A ROBOT IN MY CAKE!!!!

aaarrrggghh

bye val

Gabriel said...

Ohhh. If itwas me I'm sorry.

Gabriel said...

Ok....

Robin Snowscar said...

Robots live in all sweet things in Blogland so never take sweets unless you know where they've been. *serious face*

BlackDragon said...

what was u did u put a robot in my cake???

Callum McCarthy (Joel Reach) said...

Derek You are epic I respect you greatly and Great job on the allan tichmarch show and please i hope the end of the world isnt that short.

Anonymous said...

iv never actually commented on a blog before, so its new to me. Bu i still got eited when i saw that i was quite near the top ^-^ *proud moment*

BlackDragon said...

hey i was gonna put a serious face

aahhh well

no sweets get it no sweets no robots

good

Valkyrie108 said...

I'm not angry:)))))

Gabriel said...

I'm bored... I should work on my story..

Robin Snowscar said...

No *surrender hands* well... I suppose technically, I started the whole robot-in-desserts-thing, I released them into Blogland so, maybe a little..

Gabriel said...

*sighs*
Please, I cant give her name...(my friend's name)
She's holding me hostage in the IT room..

Anonymous said...

I think i may go now, as no one is engagaing me in a riviting conversation. That and the fact that i have to get up really early in the morning ...

Robin Snowscar said...

GABRIEL COBALT WILL YOU STOP WITH THE '...' *throws knife at him*

Good Val, you just seemed a little... off

BlackDragon said...

rrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh

i like robots

*pull a robot out of a cake*
*start playing catch with it*

Robin Snowscar said...

Okay Sunshine bye bye

Valkyrie108 said...

I dunno really just tire I guess??

Gabriel said...

*dodges*
Stop trying to kill me!!

Anonymous said...

So you arnt even going to try to get me to stay? your not going to put up a little bit of a fight to keep me here?

Thats charming, that is xD

BlackDragon said...

bye littlemisssunshine49(if u r goin)

Valkyrie108 said...

I'm going 2 bed night;)

Robin Snowscar said...

Yeah, it don't matter so long as your okay


*stabs Gabriel with sword*

Robin Snowscar said...

Bye Valkyrie

Robin Snowscar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BlackDragon said...

o rite stay den u know u want to

Robin Snowscar said...

No Sunshine, don't go *insert more pleas for not leaving here*

BlackDragon said...

bye val

Anonymous said...

lol yeah i do, bu it is already 11:30 here, and i have to be and brigt and happy in the morning. Maybe if someone ges me into a conversation i shall stay, but if not, alas, i shall have to leave.

Gaming Bacon said...

Robots don't appear in bacon cake right!?!?(I just made one) *stares at cake*

Gabriel said...

*stares at Robin*
*smiles*
*disappears*

BlackDragon said...

hey its 11:30 here aswell

somebody engage her in convosation coz i dont know how to

Robin Snowscar said...

Not if you keep them from going in but they're sneaky, Gaming

*frowns* Where'd Gabriel go

Robin Snowscar said...

Sunshine what SP book are you on?

Anonymous said...

robin snowscar,your pleas warm my heart, they really do.

BlackDragon said...

yh which one r u on

Robin Snowscar said...

Good.

BlackDragon said...

hey wat about mine

Anonymous said...

Robin Snowscar-
i just finished rereading (again) the death bringer) I NEED THE NEW ONE!!!

Robin Snowscar said...

Ah, same TEOTW is gonna be so good can't wait

BlackDragon said...

i need the new one i have started rereading db again

Gaming Bacon said...

I got rid of the robot it smellt like bacon I strated to drool then ate it (oh God i have problems)

BlackDragon said...

i hope teotw isnt reallyreally thin like a little red riding hood pocket edition or something

Anonymous said...

I think im gonna have to read the whole series in a loop non stop until the next one is out xD TEOTW is gonna have to keep me going xD

Robin Snowscar said...

I've read all of them more times than I care to remember but I nearly died at the Lord Vile thing (no spoilers for people who haven't read it yet) I got Darquesse straight away I read the name and was like 'well that's Val' but LORD VILE whaa?

BlackDragon said...

lol

but still wat about mine

Anonymous said...

yeah, if it is really thin i think i may just curl up in a ball a die.

YOu hear me GOLDEN GOD??? It must be thick enough to keep us going! you got us into this sp addiction, and its your resposalitity to sustain it xD

Robin Snowscar said...

Yes Derek *insert four different types of death threat to Derek* Unless you tell me the name of that book. Now.

BlackDragon said...

yh i didnt:(

i accidently read a spoiler

of the lord vile thing (no spoiler)

Anonymous said...

at that lord vile thing i was just like

Oh. MY. GODD!!!

And then i started laughing XD its just so ironic xD And i love how he switched from val to darkesse really seamlessly, i had to re read the whole thing again to see what happendxD

BlackDragon said...

yh i had 2 read it again aswell

BlackDragon said...

any guesses of wat the new book is called?

Anonymous said...

no clue whatso ever. And he said it was diffrent to the other titles, so i should be interesting xD

Robin Snowscar said...

It should be called Skulduggery Pleasant: We saved the world lots of times so now we're gonna do it again

Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Robin snowscar-

That seems legit. lets put the idea across to our golden god xD

BlackDragon said...

rite id call it
skulduggery pleasant book 7

who likes my creative thinking huh huh huhuhuh

Anonymous said...

that is so creative dude. *pats back*

Robin Snowscar said...

Or Skulduggery Pleasant: Come and get us Bad guys
OR:
SP: Bring it the hell on

?

Robin Snowscar said...

Nice Slayer xD

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

i think book nine shoulf be caled pleasant dreams...

Robin Snowscar said...

Ha Flame I see what you did there

BlackDragon said...

oh yea i got a pat on the back
can i have my trophie now???

or:lord vile has taken over
or: darqquess has taken over

Robin Snowscar said...

SP: Pleasant Dreams

*self chuckle*

Anonymous said...

i so want derek to mention us in his next blg and say that becasue we suggested it, he is now going to come over to the uk just for me, sign my book then go home.

Or something like that.

*Herp derp face whilst lost in head*

BlackDragon said...

hey flame

i been of 4 a while again

:(

Gaming Bacon said...

It should be called SP:Insert title here

Anonymous said...

i wonder whats going to happen with china in the new book? or what about that reporter?

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

That is a savage name robin

my suggestion btw

Robin Snowscar said...

I just thought that Gaming I've been doing it all night

I know right Flame

Robin Snowscar said...

The reporter :o

Anonymous said...

ikr? i just laughed at the end of db. Then got depressed becasue i realised i would have to wait until september to read the next book. >8(

Flame Phoenix (Fawkes)~roleplaying said...

Pleasant Dreams ftw.

Arcanine said...

You got to meet John Barrowman!!?!! :D
He's amazing! Anyways you are seriously making me tremble with excitement for the 7th book!! I can't wait! :D

BlackDragon said...

i wonder if scapeface...the zombie guy and thrasher what happens to them

Anonymous said...

i bet scapegrace comes back to annoy val. He always does. Thats just the way with killer supremes. They are like limpets. xD

BlackDragon said...

well done on first arcanine
drum roll ppplllzzz

(waiting 4 da dedication)

Robin Snowscar said...

Yeah Sunshine, me after finishing db:
How? :o What? :O Ages away 'til next book >:O Really? *rereads*

Gaming Bacon said...

ooh another name SP: Persuading the bad guys to give up cause in the end were gonna win anyway because were awsome abreviation SP:PTBGTGUCITEWGWABWA anyone who can pronounce it right gets a cookie

Robin Snowscar said...

Gah, machines *flicks laptop*

Robin Snowscar said...

Good one Gaming xD

BlackDragon said...

guess what

i tried to take my time reading death bringer and 4got one night and read it all and wuz all depressed the other day cuz i have to wait till september 4 the new book

Anonymous said...

does anyoen know where i can get cool sp art? i wanna get a poster or something *mad fangirl smile*

BlackDragon said...

i can PTBGTGUCITEWGWABWA oooo in ur face oooo

BlackDragon said...

no i donot know where to get sp art

Robin Snowscar said...

There are some on the main SP site but you get some cool stuff on Deviantart if your looking for print outs. Actual bought stuff I dunno

Anonymous said...

yeah im justchecking on deviantart now for stuff .^-^ does anyone else have da?

Gaming Bacon said...

just realised something why do bad guys want to destroy the world what the heck do they get out of that unless they are EXTREMELY paranoid then I don't get it

BlackDragon said...

i dont think arcanine is gonna dedicate

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 4807   Newer› Newest»