Monday, January 13, 2014

Working Hard...

Well then.

As you  know, I've been writing. Writing, writing, writing. You don't get to do an awful lot of other things when you're writing. Well, sometimes you do, but not when you have deadlines like these. The short stories I'm writing, all of them, need to be delivered by Wednesday. The first draft of Book Nine needs to be delivered by the middle of next month.

To say I am a tad busy would be something of an understatement.

Of course, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, and why would Jack want to be a dull boy? I've been doing things. Reading things. Watching things.

Take this evening, for instance. This evening I watched the last Sherlock of the current season. The first episode of the season was oddly character-driven, at the expense of the central mystery, but I didn't mind that in the least. The second episode, the wedding episode, was hilariously sublime. And the final episode, having Sherlock face off against a truly unique villain... well. It was just wonderful stuff.

And I've been reading. Stephen King, mostly. Going over his early works. His classics. When I was a kid, I went straight from The Three Investigators and the Hardy Boys to Stephen King and these wonderfully violent and detailed Gold Eagle books like The Executioner and Able Team and Phoenix Force, books that gave you diagrams of the weapons they used at the back of the book. Basically, I graduated from kids books to horror and action. And after a few Stephen King books like Cujo (the first King book I can remember reading) I went on to James Herbert and Shaun Hutson — overtly violent and brilliantly horrific.

And now, after all this time, I'm going back to Stephen King, and loving it all.

Recommendations? Read The Stand. Then read It. Two MASSIVE books. You won't be sorry.

So these things have been my break from the writing. Christmas, for me, was mostly about the short stories. But there was one story...

It started off fine. Exactly as I planned. It would be a new kind of story, something I hadn't really tried before. It would probably end up as one of the longer stories of the collection, though, but not by much.

I thought.

I have just finished it. Half an hour ago, I finished it. At the moment, before edits, it is over 20,000 words long. That's twice as long as The End of the World. So you'll be reading through Armageddon-Outta-Here (haw!), and hopefully enjoying the stories, and then you'll get to this brand new novella, a good, solid chunky story, and I think this story alone will make the collection worth the money.

I think. I hope. Right now I'm far too tired to form a coherent opinion. All I know is, I've been working hard. And it's not over yet.

4,919 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   3201 – 3400 of 4919   Newer›   Newest»
Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...

((At some point, my thought-trail shifted, so this isn't actually directed at Snow.))

Yeah, blame it on humanity. And then pretend you're not a person, just like the rest of us, caught up in this mess of a world. Heaven forbid you could do something to fix it.

We're all human, and we all have our differences from the norm. Sometimes we forget that everyone around us is just as human as we are. And that's a problem, but if we just go "oh, yeah, that's the state of humanity nowadays," who does that make us if we accept it? When we say that humans are destroying the planet, do we understand that we're a part of the problem? I mean, sure I recycle and turn off the lights when I leave the room, but I have also ridden in a car before. And I'm a way, I guess I accept that. So who does that make me? Who does that make you?

print('Would it be better if the world were populated by robots?')

At this point, I understand I'm being mildly ridiculous, but I'm fairly sure I still have a point in there somewhere. Maybe.

Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...

New post on my Python blog (title = input('What is the title of this blog')

fabiAsleep = True

print('Goodbye.')

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Hiya! How are you? What y'all talking about?

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Hello? *knocks on imaginary door*

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Gtg :( Bye!

Snow said...

Oh how I wish things were different, better...

*kinda here, deep in thought*

Unknown said...

Sorry I haven't been replying, I just watched Sherlock season 3 episode 1! It was pretty good, but I wish he had told john how he survived the fall

#ChaseForBookNine

Unknown said...

Yeah, and Fabi, I'm going to have to make a new account, but on what website did you make your account? was it on blogger.com?

#ChaseForBookNine

Anonymous said...

Hey, guys!

Snow said...

Sorry, I poofed...

@rueben idk, sorry!

Snow said...

Heyyyy emberrr

Unknown said...

hey snow!

#ChaseForBookNine

Anonymous said...

Helloooo

I don't think you can do that, Rueben. Didn't you see the link I posted yesterday? About changing to a Blogger profile?

Anonymous said...

What's wrong, Snowy?

Unknown said...

Ember, I did see it, but it was recently updated, and even the "how to change your blogger profile" helping stuff doesn't work anymore! I'm so annoyed by that

#ChaseForBookNine

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I'm sorry, I have no idea how to help you. Perhaps you can find something online?

Snow said...

Nothing.

*pulls mega-super derp face*

Snow said...

?

Unknown said...

I've been looking for a tutorial that could help for the past few days

#ChaseForBookNine

Anonymous said...

...I'm sorry, Rueben.

But SNOWYYYY..... YOU WERE BEING CONTEMPLATIVE

Snow said...

Ooooohhhhhh

yeah, idk, my brain just went on one of it's thought trips....

Derp

Anonymous said...

Fair enough!

*Mycroftbunny is on the ski slope looking dejected*

Snow said...

MYCROFTBUNNY *Stormbuny teleports next to mycroftbunny in her new jacket*

Unknown said...

I'm going to go now, because last night my friend and I stayed up until almost 12 am, and then I got up at 7 am, and even though right now for me it is 7:40 pm, I'm really tired

#ChaseForBookNine

Anonymous said...

*smiles* *bunny-signs* Greetings. Where on Earth have you been?

Snow said...

Hey, ember, in the spirit of the moment, I'll give you a taste of what im working on for you

"He's so much cuter,
When he's a bunny"

Anonymous said...

Oh, okay. Bye Rue!

Snow said...

*bunny-signs* solving crime. Sorryyyy *huggles*

Snow said...

Byeeee rueben

Anonymous said...

*huffs* You could've asked me to help you, you know, and you would've been done in half the time.

Snow said...

*pokes tounge out at*

okay, lets ski!

Snow said...

:)

Snow said...

G2g :(((((

Be back son though, maybe half an hour? Byeee*huggles*

Anonymous said...

((SUCH A CUTE BUNNEH)

*stares at the slope*

*bunny-signs* Isn't it a little... steep?

Snow said...

I am baaacccckkkk


*bunny-signs* it does look rather... challenging

Anonymous said...

Hi, people!
(and I just realized I know nobody on here)
I am an awkward human being... :P

Anonymous said...

Hi, Phoenix! Nice to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Anonymous said...

*bunny-signs* Would you rather head to another slope? Something less challenging?

*a skier zooms past, knocking Mycroftbunny off his feet*

Snow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Ember if you wait 20min i will rp ok? Gotta get up ect

Snow said...

Hey Phoenix


*rushes to mycroftbunny* are you okay?!

Anonymous said...

(*holds out hand to Phoenix*)

(My name is September Silver, and I'm a fan of Sherlock (mostly Mycroft), Homestuck (mostly Caliborn) and Skulduggery Pleasant (mostly China). Who's your favourite SP character?)

Anonymous said...

*is signing profanities at the skier, who has already sped down the slope*

*huffs angrily*

I've decided that we can do this slope after all.

*sets off*

Anonymous said...

(Sure, Zaf!)

Anonymous said...

Hey!
And (winces) I know how getting knocked down on skis feels. Sort of...

Anonymous said...

(Where are you from, Phoenix?)

Snow said...

Well okay then.... *follows mycroftbunny*

Snow said...

((Btw, I am Snow Stormberg. :) ))

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mycroft bunny!
My name is emerald phoenix (so not a fake name) and I LOVE Skulduggery, and my fave character is Valkyrie. Very original of me, I know...
But I also kind of like Darquesse.
And now I sound like a psycho.

Anonymous said...

I am from.............. somewhere in this galaxy! Shocker!!!!! :)

Snow said...

(( I AM THE PENGUIN QUEEN!!!))

Anonymous said...

OK....
(slowly backs away) ;)

Anonymous said...

(I like Darquesse too!)

Anonymous said...

*does an epic faceplant*

Anonymous said...

*starts falling down the slope, skating on his head and waving his paws frantically*

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm not alone! Mwahahahahahahaha!!!!

Anonymous said...

(YOU WILL NEVER TRULY BE ALONE)

(...officially has no idea where that came from)

Snow said...

*bunny-signs* mycroftbunny!! *trips and lands on top of him* #-#

Anonymous said...

That sounds painful. I would help, but my dog just turned into a lamp.
Even though I don't have a dog.
And even though that's kind of ripped off from Nigahiga (somebody on Youtube)

Anonymous said...

That's deep, Mycroftbunny. That's deep.......

Snow said...

((XD))

Snow said...

*is tumbling down the slope on a knot of limbs with mycroftbunny*

Anonymous said...

That sounds painful as well.
Again, I would help. But my (insert the blank with the name of an animal- i.e. cat) has just turned into a (insert the name of a common household object- i.e. spatula)

Snow said...

((Your iguana just turned into a foot stool?!))

Anonymous said...

Erm......
Yes! Yes, my (nonexistent) iguana just turned into a (nonexistent) footstool! Yeaaaaah! Suuuuuure!
And the fact that both of them are *snorts* "nonexistent" is a mere detail.

Snow said...

((*is wondering where ember is*))

Anonymous said...

OK, OK, I'm a terrible liar. Ugh. You guys caught me out.
Fine, then. You want the truth??? Do you?!?!?!?! Well, here it is:
My octopus just turned into a toaster.
Fine then. Hate me.
*starts hysterically wailing*

Anonymous said...

(SORRY! I POOFED!)

Anonymous said...

And by the way, who's Ember?
This just clarifies the fact that I know nobody on this Blog. *winces*

Anonymous said...

(To get it to switch back, you have to lick a calculator three times. Didn't anybody tell you that?)

Anonymous said...

(Ember is short for September, who is me :) )

Anonymous said...

Ah. Now that was awkward timing. Sorry...

Anonymous said...

(It's fine! When Kestrel (someone on this blog) called me that, I had no idea who she was talking about for a week.)

Anonymous said...

*smiles awkwardly*
TGIF, anyone?

Anonymous said...

(What is that?)

Anonymous said...

And ah. People, I'm sorry if over the next few days/weeks/months/years I offend anybody by mixing them up.

Anonymous said...

Thank Goodness/God/Gorillas It's Friday

Anonymous said...

For the Goodness/God/Gorillas thing, it depends on the person, so......

Snow said...

Sorry internet being stupidddd

Anonymous said...

Well, what else is new? :)

Snow said...

*both bunnys stop their tumble down the slop and sit at the bottom in a tangle of limbs*

Snow said...

Msd

Anonymous said...

And now people who love the internet are going to stalk me down, come to my house at night and hate on me.
Gah.

Anonymous said...

Hello?

Anonymous said...

Bye, people, I've gotta go eat. *huffs* People these days and their messed up priorities! ;)
I'll probably be back in about half an hour.

Snow said...

Mums nearby and im supposed to be asleep, wbd

Snow said...

Ember poofed again, didn't she?

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Probably! Sorry I'm awake

Snow said...

And I need to sleep soon

Snow said...

Okay, I need sleep... *hugs* night

Anonymous said...

Hi, random citizens of Bloglandia!
I'm back (and even though nobody probably missed me, I'm still saying it)

Anonymous said...

Goodnight, Snow!

Anonymous said...

I'M HERE AGAIN!

I had dinner.

Anonymous said...

Wait, Mycroftbunny, if you had dinner now, (and I don't want to sound like a stalker) where do you live?

Anonymous said...

I live in Singapore :) It's 7:30 right now. Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous said...

OMIGOSH! I live in the Little Red Dot too!

Anonymous said...

REALLY???????

Anonymous said...

(stalkers, please ignore the previous comment)

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!!!
And now I'm fangirling.

Anonymous said...

OMGOMG

I don't want to ask you what your name is, so uh...

1) Are you in SNYO/SSCC?

2) Did you go to NAFA a couple of years ago?

Because I never went to school..

Adra said...

We don't stalk THAT much

Anonymous said...

What's SNYO?
No, I did not go to NAFA...
And I go to school somewhere....

Anonymous said...

Well, we TRY not to *inconspicuous wink* *I joke, I joke*

Anonymous said...

Well, I had to make sure, Lady Adrasos!

Anonymous said...

And yeah, I realized. ;)

Anonymous said...

SNYO is the Singapore National Youth Orchestra, which I know quite a few people from, so if you were in there I'd probably know you *SCREAM*

Do you do music?

Anonymous said...

No, sorry, I don't....

Anonymous said...

But I do love music.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I only know the music community :(

Adra said...

Adra, please.

*Look at you two. How cute!*

Anonymous said...

:)
And sure!

Anonymous said...

The sure's for Adra, btw...

Anonymous said...

Bye, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Bye, fellow Singaporean! Come back soon!

*turns to Adra, flourishing a large satin cape*

Shall we continue where we left off?

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Omg did I tell some of you?

Zaffy gonna see Les Miserables on Broadway!!!!

Sorry I'm beyond estatic

Anonymous said...

That sounds great, Zaf! I hope you have fun.

Anonymous said...

Cool!
And sorry, Ember, I'm back!

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Phoenix!

I'm trying to think of an abbreviation for your name, because we already have an Em and a Nix....

Adra said...

Yes please Emby!

Yayyyyyy!
-

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

It good be hard

Omg so I was reading LSODM and my friends just totally scared me yesterday by quoting Ravel and I freaked as I was reading a chapter with hin and Ghastly

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I excel at making names that are difficult to abbreviate. :)
How about....... Uh........ OK I'm out of ideas.......

Anonymous said...

And what drives you to think, Lady Adra, that I deserve your rudeness? Perhaps now, but in the beginning I did you no wrong.

Anonymous said...

And Zafira, that's a bit freaky....

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I STILL can't think of a name!

Adra said...

In the beginning, neither of us did any wrong.
But then again, you still hung me from a tree, so, that cancelled any last straying thought of your humanity

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

You can call me Zaf if you rather

And it was

Anonymous said...

Pho sounds a little odd (or maybe not)... I could call you Fee, because it sounds like "phoe" but it doesn't LOOK as odd as "phoe" would look... I can't call you any abbreviation of the name Emerald because we already HAVE an Emerald (Emerald Melody)...

Anonymous said...

Neither of us? You were always rude to me, or don't you recall? Perhaps the pregnancy is getting to your head.

Anonymous said...

Wait, Adra, how the heck did a conversation get to the point of Ember hanging you from a tree?

Anonymous said...

OK!
And yeah, Fee looks life the word "fee'' as in a parking fee, but it's the best one yet....

Anonymous said...

(I'm being Mycroft right now, we're roleplaying :P)

(GAH THIS WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I SPOKE WITH UMBRELLAS)

Adra said...

*Glares at him* I'm never rude without reason, Mycroft

Anonymous said...

(I hereby dub you FEE!)

(Until somebody else thinks of a better name)

Anonymous said...

I hereby state that yeah, Fee is a bit weird but OK then, I'm weird....

Anonymous said...

(I was thinking "fee" as in "fairy" without the accent, so yah :P)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure. May I have some water?

Anonymous said...

(Don't ask me why I thought fée, I'm just weird)

Anonymous said...

And there I go again, being awkward...
Hey, that sounds a bit like the Fey in the series with the book Thirteen Curses and Thirteen Treasures!

Anonymous said...

And I did like the Fey in that series. So yay!

Anonymous said...

(We could always call you Fey!)

Adra said...

Fey is a regular term, actually. Not just specific to one book :P
-
*Hives him a stony look, then gestures with an arm to her cabinet*

Anonymous said...

I've been dubbed Fee which coincidentally sounds like Fey from one of my fave series'. Well, I can tick THAT one off of the bucket list! :)

Anonymous said...

(Fee it is then. Maybe I can keep the accent somehow.)

Anonymous said...

*smiles*

*looks in the cabinet*

*pours himself a glass* Would you like some?

Adra said...

*Tersely* No, thank you

Anonymous said...

True. It's just that in all the other series' with the Fey in it that I've read, it's spelled as Fay, so... :P
(that can mean a derp/awkward face with me)

Anonymous said...

Nah, I'm good.

Anonymous said...

(Do you want Fay? We can call you Fay.)

Anonymous said...

(I think FAY is better, because the definition of FAY is nicer than the definition of FEY)

Anonymous said...

*drinks, then puts the cup down*

*looks at her out of the corner of his eye* I do hope I haven't caught you in the middle of something.

Anonymous said...

OK, then, Fay it is!

Adra said...

...
Now, why ever would you think that?

Anonymous said...

*looks at her*

I don't actually care whether or not I've disturbed you. I just wanted to know if you were doing anything that might interest me.

Anonymous said...

FINE

Anonymous said...

And people, now I'm actually going (hehe) so BYE!
And to my fellow SG-ian, did you notice how cold it's been getting lately?
Bye, people!


Adra said...

*Straightens her shoulders*
*Which is hard, because she's lopsided*
Nothing that concerns you

Adra said...

Bye Fay!

Anonymous said...

(I know! It was really windy today! Bye Fay :D)

*smirks* Everything concerns me.

Adra said...

Not this, Mycroft. Don't even think about it.

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Not bothering to do anything.

Anonymous said...

*paces back and forth* *in a mocking tone* Thinking about it... thinking about it... Thinking about it...

Adra said...

*Glares at him but turns away as the kitchen door opens*
*A woman with long, sleek black hair stands there* *Her tongue flickers and she jumps up onto the counter, and reaches for a lightbulb*
*Adra grabs a broom, and smacks her side* OI! We were having a conversation!
*Hydra turns to look at Adra, her eyes yellow*
*Her tongue flicks*I was hungry!
*Adra growls* Get your own damn lightbulbs, then. You aren't taking mine.
*Hydra looks innocently at her, then seems to notice Mycroft for the first time* *Hydra begins to giggle*

Anonymous said...

*stares* *quickly regains his composure* Who--I'm sorry, I don't think we've met.

Adra said...

*Hydra slowly extends one longer hand, her nails cracked, and long* *She hisses when she speaks* Hydra, at your service.
*Adra gives the other woman a look*

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Hullo! How's things? Really Bored atm

Anonymous said...

*steps back, pressing against the counter*

N-nice to meet you...

Anonymous said...

(Gtg ;( )

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Bye Ember! *hugs*

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Well they're roleplaying, like usual. I'm ghosting as its too early for rp.

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Ok or not

Bye Ember

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Oh. I'll probably ghost or something, I'm bored but can't really join in so...

Adra said...

Good, Rhy! And I'm sorry to hear that :/ sup?
-
*Hydra's tongue flickers again, and Adra struggles to keep a straight face, trying to glare at Hudra for scaring Mycroft, but is enjoying it too much*
*Hydra carefully reaches out, trailing a finger down the side of his face*
*Touches it to her tongue*
*Makes a face* Filthy. *Hydra turns, looking at Adra* He wasn't bothering you and the kid, was he? If so, I could eat him. Even if he is gross.

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Same Rhy. Its ok

Adra said...

Damn.

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Hey Adra! In school atm. Yeah, so I'm literally losing my sanity. Cba with school. You all should pity me *nods*

Adra said...

I might consider pitying you if you try to not be bored.
Literally three of us here, two claiming to be bored.
What do you propose should be done?

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Lol thanks Adra! Well I can't help being bored but there should be a cure *nods* I'm officially insane

Adra said...

If you wish, Adra could pay you a visit..?

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Msd

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Can if you want Adra. *hugsies* I have few real friends atm so it'd be nice to know someone doesn't hate me

Adra said...

Of course :P
-
*Adra finds herself outside of Rhydian's house* *Pauses* *Wraps her coat around her* *Knocks on the door*

Adra said...

And don't worry, Rhydian. I hate most people. You aren't one of them.
*Pets shoulder* *Hugs*

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

*opens door* HELLO FRIEND!!! *tacklehugs* Lol how did you get here so quickly? *shifty look*

Emerald Melody said...

Hey guys.

I was able to get back the original map on the Minecraft but it has reset back to when I first came onto it and built it.

So we don't have the buildings that we all did but we have the original map and I reckon we could build the buildings back up.

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Hiya Em! How's things? Oh that's good !

Adra said...

*Hugs back* I'm alright, friend! *Shifts herself, so she isn't squishing her belly* How are you?
-
Yay Em! That's wonderful!

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

I'm fine! Cold lol

Adra said...

Oh, well. Let's not stay out here any longer, BEFORE you get a cold.

Lewis Ravenscroft / Rhydian Blake said...

Gtg now :( got ICT. Hate ICT. Bye! :(

Adra said...

Bye Rhy!
Msd as well..

Alastair Cruciatus said...

Ari: For the next part of the rainbow paint story, should I write it out here like I did the others, or just post it to Nameless? Or write it out here, and then post it all to Nameless?

#ChaseForBook9

Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Ari i think you ought to do Nameless, its actually easier to read. For me, i cant speak for others but its easier when i go on Nameless.

Not here totoes im in Spanish.

Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zanida Laufeydottir Queen of Asgard (Zafira Kerias) said...

Thats my thoughts actually Fabi, and Nameless is red for me

Star Inkbright said...

I'd rather read it here, Ari, but Nameless is fine. :)

I zoomed the screen in to 400% and have been scrolling thorugh the comments with the words filling the screen, and it's kind of cool . . . I can see all your profile pictures really clearly. :)

You can't see everything, though, so it all feels a bit cut-off, like there's walls in between each comment, so I might zoom out again soon. :)

#ChaseForBookNine

Star Inkbright said...

*metaphorical walls, obviously

I found a really good metaphor for feeling fizzy!

It's like you were a substance, and you dissolved, and all your atoms are all jumbled up with all the water you dissolved in, and so you're these floating fragmented pieces, and also the glass of water you're in is being shook so you're all floaty and fizzy and yeahhh . . .

The feeling varies, but I rather liked that metaphor. :P


#ChaseForBookNine

Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...

White-on-burgundy, then...

Star Inkbright said...

Hey Lantern. :)

Your profile picture is beautiful. :)

#ChaseForBookNine

«Oldest ‹Older   3201 – 3400 of 4919   Newer› Newest»